Rides, Rallies and Events Recap

2015 Camp Valor Outdoors Patriot Ride – Holden, Missouri

Written by  May 30, 2015

Despite the rain and thunderstorms on May 16, 2015, which is Armed Forces Day, the 2015 Camp Valor Outdoors Patriot Ride was a huge success. Although the rain kept most of our riders from participating, we still had nearly 100 bikers complete the nearly 120 mile journey, which ended up at the Holden Community Activity Center for the remainder of the scheduled activities.

A lunch and huge bake sale was orchestrated by the VFW's 6th District and the American Legions Ladies Auxiliary from Warrensburg. Several bands and groups from Jackson and Johnson were playing live music throughout the day, while the silent auction was underway. Thanks to nine veteran organizations and the support of many local businesses ranging from the Kansas City Metro area to Knob Noster; there was over $23,000 worth of items, including a $9,000 African safari on the silent auction, which brought in just over $7,100.    

Camp Valor Outdoors had been working for over five months on sponsorships, which brought in $16,000 alone. With the raffles, lunch, and bake sale, the event grossed over $25,000. The event was put on to educate the community that veteran suicide is at an all-time high of 22 per day, which camp Founder and Executive Director Maj John Schwent, USMC (Ret) claimed, "Was a National tragedy!" Colonel Doc Ballard, the only living recipient of the Medal of Honor here in Missouri, echoed Schwent's comments, and added that more must be done to assist the 1% of this nation that volunteers to serve in our Armed Forces in order to protect the other 99%. 

The mission of Camp Valor Outdoors is to reconnect ill, injured, and wounded veterans through adaptive outdoors activities, with the goal of reducing the suicide rate. Camp Valor is in their 3rd year of operations, and as to date, they have assisted over 300 wounded veterans from all military services from all generations, and Camp Valor is able to do this with a 100% volunteer staff, because they don’t have a payroll. Next year’s event has already been set for May 14, 2016.  

Please like and follow Camp Valor Outdoors on their Facebook page. 

MOST POPULAR COVER MODELS & BIKES

  • Behind the Scenes with Kate
    Behind the Scenes with Kate Our September 2017 cover model is Kate, from Raytown, Missouri. Her ambitions include becoming a flight attendant and traveling the…
  • 1925 Indian Prince
    1925 Indian Prince Our September 2017 cover bike is a 1925 Indian Prince, which is owned by Mark Kozak from Kansas City, Missouri.…